Theresa A. Otto
Theresa has a broad range of legal experience, including the defense of civil lawsuits claiming catastrophic injuries, employment discrimination, trucking accidents, and defective design and construction. Clients trust Theresa with cases involving complex medical injuries and substantial life-care and vocational rehabilitation plans, which lead to large exposure to clients.
Theresa graduated from the University of Notre Dame School of Law, where she was a Thomas J. White Scholar and served as the Copy Editor of the Notre Dame Journal of Law, Ethics and Public Policy. Prior to attending Notre Dame, Theresa graduated magna cum laude from Rockhurst College.
For fifteen years Theresa has received an AV rating, the highest granted following a peer review, from the national law publication of Martindale-Hubbell. In 2006, Theresa was named by Ingram’s magazine as being one of Kansas City’s most influential and accomplished young leaders in its annual “40 Under Forty” designation. Since 2009 she has been designated as a Super Lawyer in the area of Civil Litigation.
In 2012 and 2013, Theresa was named to Super Lawyers’ List of Top 50 Women Lawyers in Missouri & Kansas. In 2013, she received the prestigious Women’s Justice Award for Litigation Practitioner, Missouri Lawyers Weekly, for having demonstrated leadership, integrity, service, sacrifice and accomplishment in improving the quality of justice and exemplifying highest ideals of the legal profession. In 2014, she was recognized and included among the best trial and appellate lawyers in the nation in her selection to become a Fellow of Litigation Counsel of America, The Trial Lawyer Honorary Society.
Theresa’s professional memberships and civic activities include her active and volunteer participation with The Kansas City, Missouri Board of Zoning Adjustment, of which she has served as Board Chairperson since 1997 conducting public hearings on zoning appeals. In 2004, Kansas City, Missouri undertook the task of revising its Zoning Ordinance and Subdivision Regulations. Theresa was selected to co-chair a steering committee of citizens and civic leaders which was established to represent the public’s interests and to provide guidance to city staff and outside consultants in drafting revisions to the city’s Zoning Ordinance and Subdivision Regulations. In 2012, she became a mentor for women attorneys under the Connections Group established by the Association of Women Lawyers of Kansas City. She was also elected to the Board for the Missouri Organization of Defense Lawyers and as so served in the position since 2012.
- Complex Personal Injury
- Employment Litigation
- Transportation Law
- Construction Litigation
- Insurance Coverage Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
Awards & Service
- AV® Preeminent Rating, Martindale-Hubbell
- Best of the Bar, Kansas City Business Journal
- Super Lawyers in Missouri and Kansas, Thomson Reuters
- Top 50 Women, Super Lawyers in Missouri and Kansas, Thomson Reuters
- Litigation Practitioner Award, Women’s Justice Awards, Missouri Lawyers Weekly
- 40 Under 40, Ingrams Magazine
- Top 100 Litigation Attorneys in Kansas, American Society of Legal Advocates
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America, The Trial Lawyer Honorary Society
- Chairman, Board of Zoning Adjustment, City of Kansas City, Missouri
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court, District of Kansas
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit
- Rockhurst College
- University of Notre Dame School of Law
- Board of Directors, Missouri Organization of Defense Lawyers (MODL)
- The Missouri Bar
- Kansas Bar Association
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association (KCMBA)
- Member, Defense Research Institute (DRI)
- Member, Association for Women Lawyers of Greater Kansas City